Sports First EPL Home Win Excites Liverpool Manager; Read Reactions

Liverpool manager, Jürgen Klopp, has expressed satisfaction at his side's 1-0 win over Swansea City on Sunday- his first home EPL game at Anfield.

klopp(1).jpg
The 41-year old German tactician was also excited with the return of two of his players, Jordan Henderson and Daniel Sturridge back to the field, as they will boost the performance of the team and increase their chances of title contention.

James Milner’s second-half penalty settled the contest in difficult weather conditions, with strong winds having an impact on proceedings.

Nevertheless, the result elevated the Reds into sixth position in the Barclays Premier League table, just four points off fourth-placed Arsenal.

“It was good – it was good in many parts of the game,” Klopp reflected in his post-match press conference.

“First of all, we accepted the circumstances and that was important. It was difficult and both teams had to play with the influence of the wind, but we had more ball possession so for us it was a little bit more difficult.

“We played against an opponent that were very, very organised – I think it was their best game in terms of defensive organisation in their last two or three [matches]. We saw their last three [games] and some spaces where we could play, or thought we could play, but when we started we could see they watch their games too and had reacted to it! It was difficult.

“In the first 25 minutes, we had a good start in the game - a really good start - and then from this point on it was hard work for the rest of the game, which is normal.

“We scored a very important goal and defended really well – Simon Mignolet didn’t have that much work to do – so it was a big plus for the whole team. It was a good result and a good night.”

A solid afternoon at the office was capped off by the welcome sight of Henderson and Sturridge taking to the pitch for the first time under Klopp’s management.

The England pair were introduced into the action as second-half substitutes, and the manager said: “It was good news for the big Liverpool family.

“They are two very important players for us and they’re back in the race. They did well for their situation and from where they’ve come from after a long break with difficult injuries.

“Now they are back and that’s really good for us.”

Liverpool were made to work hard for the points by a determined Swansea side, who provided a couple of nervy moments for the home defence in the closing stages of the fixture.

However, Klopp felt the Reds were well worth the win, even if the result wasn’t as emphatic as their recent successes away to Chelsea and Manchester City.

“Football is not a sport where you can only play one way,” he explained. “The two games against City and Chelsea are not to be compared, and because of the opponent and the way they play we cannot always play like this. Parts of our game against Man City should always be in our game, but there is a big difference.

“Tonight, we are deserved winners and there’s no doubt about it – that’s the only thing we should care about.

“Development is taking all of your performances and working on it. At the end of a period of time, we can be at our best much more often. At this moment, we have to fight in really difficult circumstances – that’s what the boys did.

“Everyone who is with us can be proud because it was a difficult game, a deserved win, 23 points – very good!”

Reflecting further on the difficult conditions at Anfield, Klopp admitted both teams were forced to try and adapt to lessen the impact of the gale-force winds.

“I was only on the pitch during the warm-up but it was really crazy because it changed all the time,” he said. “It was sometimes no wind and then [a big gust], so for both teams it was really difficult tonight.

“You cannot take this game and say, 'Okay, this is how football should be'. We are an outdoor sport, no problem, we have to accept all rain, snow, wind, whatever. But it's the biggest enemy of football, wind.

“We did okay but you saw these passes and if you think and feel positive in your mind about the players, you know usually they can play better passes in this situation, but it's not easy. This wasn't our best performance but it was our best performance with a strong wind I’ve seen until now!”

The victory over Swansea was Liverpool’s sixth win from their last seven outings – and the games will continue to come thick and fast with the Reds now gearing up for consecutive away trips to Southampton, Newcastle United and FC Sion.

Asked whether he felt his side were gathering momentum, Klopp smiled: “Maybe I should, but I don't! I don't feel [momentum] because we play again on Wednesday, that's my problem.

“I would like to feel better, I would like to say, 'come on, three days off, celebrating a good week', but we don’t have time for this.

“We have to analyse our game, find out what we can use for Southampton, what we should change, fly back from Southampton and fly to Newcastle. We are on the road next week so it's really difficult.

“But of course we feel good, the boys feel good. Alberto Moreno had, I think, 20 knocks everywhere on his body and was limping from the pitch to the dressing room. We asked, 'Where is the pain?', he said, 'Everywhere'.

“That's how it feels in this moment but tomorrow morning we will be back in the race and preparing for Southampton.”

Attachments

• Klopp.jpg
    Klopp.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 24
Back