Sports Formula One: Ferrari moves in on Sebastian Vettel to replace Fernando Alonso

German driver Sebastian Vettel will now replace Fernando Alonso at Ferrari for the new Formula One season.

This week talks surfaced that Alonso could leave the Italian company,and it has been confirmed after both parties have agreed to part company,despite the Spaniard having two more seasons left on his contract.

Team principal of Red Bull Christian Horner revealed on Saturday that Vettel "advised them" that he would be leaving,and that Ferrari had made the four-time champion "a very attractive offer."

"All I can do is wish him the very best for the future," he said.

Already Red Bull have drafted a replacement for Vettel,bringing in Russian Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat in his place.

Vettel on his part said that it was about time he left Red Bull: "It is not the first time I have been approached but it felt like the right time,he was quoted as saying on BBC Sport.

"I'm not leaving because I don't like the team or individuals, I'm not running away from anything. The voice inside me, the hunger to do something new was bigger. It was not the easiest decision but you have to listen to your heart."

With Vettel now certain to link up with Ferrari,Alonso is expected to join McLaren-Honda for 2015 season.

rsz_vettel.jpg

Back