World Gambia: 'I Am A Man Of Peace', Yahya Jammeh Lambasts ECOWAS Mediators

P

ProfRem

Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has hit out at regional mediators urging him to step down, saying he will not be intimidated.

The West African regional bloc Ecowas had called on him to honour his initial pledge to accept electoral defeat.

Mr Jammeh, who subsequently said the 1 December poll was flawed, added that he would defend his country if need be.

Ecowas had said military intervention might be a possibility if diplomatic efforts failed.

In a 45-minute speech at the African Bar Association on Tuesday night, Mr Jammeh defended his position, saying West African leaders had violated the Ecowas principle of non-interference.

jammehBuhari.JPG

"Who are they to tell me to leave my country?" he said during his televised speech.

"I will not be intimidated by any power in this world. I want to make sure justice is done.

"I'm a man of peace, but I cannot also be a coward. I am a man of peace but that does not also mean that I will not defend myself and defend my country and defend my country courageously, patriotically and win."

Mr Jammeh seized power in the tiny country in 1994 and has been accused of human rights abuses, although he has held regular elections.

Related: Gambia: I Will Not Step Down Unless... – Yahya Jammeh Vows

Back