Sports Golf: Jordan Spieth Excited After Matching Tiger Woods PGA Tour Records

World number one, Jordan Spieth, has expressed excitement after equaling Tiger Woods' seventh PGA Tour records, saying "what Tiger's done, I can't imagine ever being done again but it's nice to be in that company."

The 22 year old cruised to an eight-shot win over Patrick Reed after a six-under-par 67 at the Kapalua Resort on the island of Maui.

Jordan-Spieth.jpg
Spieth won the Masters and the US Open in 2015 and wants more success.

He said: "I'll try and continue exactly what we were doing last year."

Spieth held a five-shot lead going into Sunday's final round and was never troubled, hitting seven birdies to post a 30-under total of 262.

He became only the second player to finish a 72-hole event on the PGA Tour at 30-under par or lower, emulating South African Ernie Els who won the 2003 Tournament of Champions with a 31-under score.

Asked how he felt after matching 14-times major winner Woods with a seventh PGA Tour victory, Spieth said: "I don't think there's any reason to compare. I think it's awfully early [in his career].

"We [he and caddie Michael Greller] are very excited about where we're at at the start to our career as a team. What Tiger's done, I can't imagine ever being done again but it's nice to be in that company." BBC

Back