Politics Goodluck Jonathan, Shockingly Slow and Inept, Says New York Times

Vunderkind

Social Member
Excerpts from New York Times' editorial titled 'Nigeria's Stolen Girls':

Three weeks after their horrifying abduction in Nigeria, 276 of the more than 300 girls who were taken from a school by armed militants are still missing, possibly sold into slavery or married off. Nigerian security forces apparently do not know where the girls are and the country’s president, Goodluck Jonathan, has been shockingly slow and inept at addressing this monstrous crime.

On Tuesday, the United Nations Children’s Fund said Boko Haram, the ruthless Islamist group that claimed responsibility for the kidnappings,abducted more young girls from their homes in the same part of the country in the northeast over the weekend. The group, whose name roughly means “Western education is a sin,” has waged war against Nigeria for five years. Its goal is to destabilize and ultimately overthrow the government. The group’s leader, Abubakar Shekau, said in a video released on Monday, “I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah.”

Click here to continue reading

Source: #NYTimes

Attachments

• Jonathan-under-pressure.jpg
    Jonathan-under-pressure.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 47
May be newyork times should use its experience to investigate the allegations made Nysko of planned genocide against thr north. that may explain why GEJ hardly ever reactd to any killing. nobody hss yet come out to deny or provide evidence that the allegations have no substance. And the killings continue unabated and mostly unchallenged!

I don.'t but am worried and concerned that killings continue seemingly unchallenged. Despite all the killings, bombings, arrests only Kabiru Sokoto and okah have been convicted. unfortunaly there are always more questions than answers.

I don.'t but am worried and concerned that killings continue seemingly unchallenged. Despite all the killings, bombings, arrests only Kabiru Sokoto and okah have been convicted. unfortunaly there are always more questions than answers.

A major problem is that we are not treating this as a national issue. It should have been treated as such from the start. In other countries, although no country has been able to sort this menace out, it is a national issue. In Nigeria it has been tagged a north east issue. If it was happening in Oyo state it would be tagged a South West issue, in Enugu it will be a South East issue. The militants in Niger Delta was a South-South issue so are the oil spills there.

This is a problem and it is brought on by selfish and power hungry politicians. NIGERIA has a terrorism issue. The next time you hear a politician PDP, APC etc speak and blame the other, cross them off your list. If they cannot get together on this issue, you know they will never get together.

A major problem is that we are not treating this as a national issue. It should have been treated as such from the start. In other countries, although no country has been able to sort this menace out, it is a national issue. In Nigeria it has been tagged a north east issue. If it was happening in Oyo state it would be tagged a South West issue, in Enugu it will be a South East issue. The militants in Niger Delta was a South-South issue so are the oil spills there.

This is a problem and it is brought on by selfish and power hungry politicians. NIGERIA has a terrorism issue. The next time you hear a politician PDP, APC etc speak and blame the other, cross them off your list. If they cannot get together on this issue, you know they will never get together.

Thanks Leftwing. i believe in that case we should all work to elect a Nigerian President instead of an ethnic religious or sectional one. One capable of tackling our national problems and not those who are resorting to ethnic, relgious and sectional sentiments to hide their monumental failures.

Thanks Leftwing. i believe in that case we should all work to elect a Nigerian President instead of an ethnic religious or sectional one. One capable of tackling our national problems and not those who are resorting to ethnic, relgious and sectional sentiments to hide their monumental failures.
@Raandal, the big question is where can we find such a person?

Well that person needs to stand up and be counted. Cannot see them now.

Every time we come to an election in Nigeria I am reminded about the film Brewster's Millions, and the slogan vote for 'None of the above' - a little clip below

Organised Labour should form a party

A party formed by the organised labour will not solve the problem because a greater part of the problem is endemic poverty. At election times peoples votes are usually for the highest bidders. (refer to the clip). There a good selfless people whose only interest is the progress of this country. They don't usually offer themselves for elections bcos they believe the offices are for the highest bidders. Am hoping that social networks on the internet will bring good people of Nigeria together so that alternatives and independent candidates instead of none of the above will emerge. Am encouraged by the recent spontaneous show of solidarity on the Chibok kodnappings. You and i and all llke minded individuals should keep faith and ontinue to spread selfless ideology.

A party formed by the organised labour will not solve the problem because a greater part of the problem is endemic poverty. At election times peoples votes are usually for the highest bidders. (refer to the clip). There a good selfless people whose only interest is the progress of this country. They don't usually offer themselves for elections bcos they believe the offices are for the highest bidders. Am hoping that social networks on the internet will bring good people of Nigeria together so that alternatives and independent candidates instead of none of the above will emerge. Am encouraged by the recent spontaneous show of solidarity on the Chibok kodnappings. You and i and all llke minded individuals should keep faith and ontinue to spread selfless ideology.

How do we get the good selfless people to come forward. The main parties are full of the same people and have the same philosophies. If you have a party that has been in power for so long such as the PDP and then before 2015 all the members that did nothing for the electorate move to join the APC and we think that is progress, then we have a problem. Maybe I will go an read up on the Nigerian Labour Party

Back