Politics Governor Ikpeazu Rejects Naming Abia NLC Secretariat After Him

P

ProfRem

Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu has rejected naming of the Abia State Chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress Secretariat in Umuahia as Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu Labour House.

The governor pleaded with NLC to consider naming its secretariat Abia Labour House.

Ikpeazu, while speaking at the foundation laying ceremony of the secretariat, which he performed, promised that he will not take the cooperation of Labour in Abia State for granted.

He also promised to support the leadership of NLC to ensure the completion of the secretariat.
He promised that Abia State Government will donate N10 million, while he as a person will make a donation of N2 million every month until the end of 2017 to ensure the completion of the building.

Ikpeazu.jpg

He said: “I want to say that I appreciate very well your decision to name this building after my humble self, but I am constrained by the policy of this government that you don’t take credit on our marks; we wait for gold medals when we cross the finishing line.

“For us today, we are on our marks and the race is just beginning, so it will be preposterous for us to take the accolade and diadem that should come ordinarily, at the breaking step.

“So I will ask you to wait till we break the tape, it is at that time that I will take up the acquisition of Excellency, and also accept awards like this. I therefore, plead and suggest that this house be called Abia Labour House. Thank you very much and God bless.”

- The Eagle Online

Back