Metro Grammy Awards Nominations 2014: Jay Z Leads with Nine Nominations, Kendrick Lamar, Others, Follow

Vunderkind

Social Member
grammy-award-2180c5ff1f64bce5.jpg
The 2014 Grammys nominations have arrived and rapper Jay Z is topping the nominees list with nine nominations including the “Best Rap Song”, “Best Rap Album” and “Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.”

Jay Z is officially the highest-nominated in the 56th annual Grammy Awards, with Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Kendrick Lamar, Pharrell Williams and Justin Timberlake all in the second position with seven nominations each.
jayz grammy.jpg

Photo: Jay-Z at the 2013 Grammy Awards

Nominees for the Album of the Year include Sara Bareilles with “The Blessed Unrest," Daft Punk with “Random Access Memories”, Kendrick Lamar with “Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City”, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis with “The Heist”, Taylor Swift with “Red”.

Surprising Failures

Kanye West’s “Yeezus”, Bruno Mars’ “Unorthodox Jukebox” and Jay Z’s “Magna Carter Holy Grail (MCHG)” all failed to clinch the Album of the Year nominations, as many people expected.

Song of the Year nominees

Nominees for Song of the Year include Pink’s “Just Give Me A Reason,” Bruno Mars’ “Locked Out Of Heaven,” Katy Perry’s “Roar,” Lorde’s “Royals” and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “Same Love.”

Lorde snubbed for the Best New Artist Spot

The nominees for Best New Artist are Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Ed Sheeran, Kendrick Lamar, James Blake and Kasey Musgraves. Lorde is conspicuously absent from this list though, even though word on the street is that she is the favorite for this position, leaving many to conclude that her exclusion from the list may have been premeditated by the high-profile Grammy folks.
lorde pics.jpg

Photo: Lorde

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance Nominees

Justin Timberlake and Jay Z for the song “Suit and Tie,” Pink and Nate Ruess for “Give Me a Reason”, Daft Punk and Pharrell for “Get Lucky,” Rihanna and Mikky Ekko for “Stay,” and Robin Thicke ft. T.I. and Pharrell in the song “Blurred Lines.”
rihanna.jpg

The Grammy Awards is awarded by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, and the Academy describes their award as “a peer honor, awarded by and to artists and technical professionals for artistic or technical achievement, not sales or chart positions."

The Grammy Awards ceremony will be broadcast live on CBS on January 26th, 2014.

Click here to see the full Grammy Awards nominations list.

#Grammy2014

I'm a rap fan, and I have so much to say about this. Fellow music lovers (rock, R n B, etc)....it's here!

@[USERGROUP=4]Senior Member[/USERGROUP] @phealip @leo @[USERGROUP=2]Personal account[/USERGROUP]

Pink definitely made sense with her song. Katy Perry spoilt the meaning of 'roar' with her psychedelic video. But I like 'stay' best. Really poignant.

So you're rooting for Ri-Ri and Mikky Ekko for the Pop Duo category? Ah. My money's on Justin Timberlake and Jay Z - Suit and Tie. Although, admittedly, I would rather have had Jay Z and Justin - Holy Grail.

It's strange that J. Cole's Born Sinner wasn't nominated and Kanye's Yeezus was. Born Sinner beats Yeezus without even trying...

So you're rooting for Ri-Ri and Mikky Ekko for the Pop Duo category? Ah. My money's on Justin Timberlake and Jay Z - Suit and Tie. Although, admittedly, I would rather have had Jay Z and Justin - Holy Grail.

It's strange that J. Cole's Born Sinner wasn't nominated and Kanye's Yeezus was. Born Sinner beats Yeezus without even trying...
I wouldn't really know. I'm not a rap fan. As hyped as 'holy grail' is, I still don't like it and I've never listened to a Kanye song b4.

I wouldn't really know. I'm not a rap fan. As hyped as 'holy grail' is, I still don't like it and I've never listened to a Kanye song b4.
Lmaooooo. Most of the Holy Grail songs were crap anyway. Only his collabs with Frank Ocean, Justin Timberlake and Rick Ross were noteworthy, in my opinion. I think Jay Z's nomination for 9 categories reeks of political influence. He just wasn't that amazing this year.

Me, I'm not a fan of Kanye so that makes two of us :)

Just like you admitted @Vunderkind, MCHG was not really Jay Z's best collection because the album title is more popular than most of the songs in it - that's why Jay Z is da boss.

LMAO @ Kanye. Kanye himself would have been surprised if his album was nominated. Kanye is slowly going into oblivion like NAS did; difference being that Nas at one time in his life was a boss. Kanye was not always this bad (that's the painful part), he should just sit down and write good lyrical music...

@phealip, I read that Kanye didn't even write "Jesus Walks'"

Looks like the future's getting pretty bleak, eh?

Well I'd advice he looks for whoever wrote that and those of his earlier songs and pay for a re-write. This is not good for this negro... Kanye is now only as popular as Kim Kadashian.

If he is tired of rapping, he should become a full time producer and save face. Kim should stay out of his studio and let him work!!!

And eez not fair oh. You are making it look like Kim is a nosey housewife who's always "all up a bloke's business".

She sef get reality TV show to manage, UNO?

LOL. Guys, guys, guys. I think Kanye West has plateaued, and he is now making the scary drop down. In times like this, it is best to ride on something. Pity he chose that something to be Kim K.

Jay Z latched on to Bey, and together they have helped brake Jay's fall. So we see Jay Z as the one who married the "goddess", Bey (big plus from the drool-over-Beyonce side of the world) and Jay Z rides on collabs with some of the world's best musicians.

I downloaded the MGHG album. Jay Z sang pure crap. It's the features that saved him.

LOL. Guys, guys, guys. I think Kanye West has plateaued, and he is now making the scary drop down. In times like this, it is best to ride on something. Pity he chose that something to be Kim K.

Jay Z latched on to Bey, and together they have helped brake Jay's fall. So we see Jay Z as the one who married the "goddess", Bey (big plus from the drool-over-Beyonce side of the world) and Jay Z rides on collabs with some of the world's best musicians.

I downloaded the MGHG album. Jay Z sang pure crap. It's the features that saved him.
All we ask from Kanye is for him to behave in like manner as his one true friend; marry a better half and do amazing features?

Are these terms too hard to fulfill, Monsieur @Vunderkind?

So he should leave Kim K even though he already has a child by her? Tres harsh, Monsieur @phealip :(
When you put it like that, I would be judged as evil if I answer in the affirmative. Damn you @vunderkind!!!!

Well he should invest in other people by purchasing their lyrics or better still, make a "grand exit" from the game and become an excellent producer.

Beht eh, you know Jay Z has taken like 3 grand exits so far and he's still here :(
I really don't want to make Jay Z feel more than a boss as he already is (please don't make me).

Maybe if Kanye goes away for a while, his creativity will come back. I care about Kanye really, that's why I'm making all these suggestions - and I'm also pretty bored.

Back