Politics House of Reps Pass Bill to Break Monopoly of DSTV

P

ProfRem

The House of Representatives on Thursday passed a bill meant to make broadcasting more competitive in the country through second reading, the Nation reports.

The bill sponsored by Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Nnena Elendu- Ukeje is titled ” a bill for an Act to amend the National Broadcast Commission Act cap N11, laws of the federation of Nigeria, 2014, to provide for competition in Nigeria, promote efficiency and expand opportunities for Nigerians’ participation in world markets while at the same time recognize the role of foreign completion in Nigeria, and for other matters related thereto.”

NBC.jpe

Ukeje while speaking on the bill said it is meant to strengthen the National Broadcast Commission as an independent regulator and the bill will also create room for competition through deregulation, liberalization, privatization, ensuring free market operation and also enforce penalty(s) to parties that go against the provisions of the law.

It will be recall that Justice Chukwujeku Aneke of the a federal High Court had on May 28th 2015 dismissed a suit against DSTV over increase in subscription fees as Nigeria is yet to have a codified set of rules promoting competition in that market.

- theNation

My very strong opinion is that our National Assembly needs to urgently look into the activities and pricing system of Dstv and related service providers; let it be "pay as you go" charge, rather than this oppressive arrangement where a customer subscribes and may not enjoy the value. Let charges be per unit consumed. It hurts when one subscribes without viewing for a month and would have to renew subscription. Just like our mobile airtime, I may decide recharge and call whenever I want to without being tied to expiration; that's the beauty of it. Dstv subscription shouldn't have expiration where the customer has not consumed the units purchased.

Back