Metro How Banker Was Killed By Mobile Policeman 14 Months After Wedding

P

PressRoom

Eugene Okere and his late wife Doris Nonye had great plans for their home, when they tied the nuptial knot on November 14, 2009 and settled at their newly built home at Mpape, a suburb of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Not until January 31, 2011, when Doris, 31, was sent to her early grave by a trigger-happy mobile policeman leaving a ninemonth- old baby behind.

The young and illustrious banker, with the defunct Bank PHB, was killed exactly two weeks herself and her husband moved into their newly completed house in Mpape. Olotu Owoicho, a mobile policeman was said to have reacted angrily by firing bullets at the vehicle when the driver allegedly ignored his warning not to make a U-turn around the vicinity of the bank and the bullets from his gun instantly snuffed the life out of Doris, an incident which prompted sympathizers who besieged the bank and set it ablaze.

Okere, the husband, who narrated his ordeal to New Telegraph reporter in an emotion laden voice, explained:

“The murder of my wife on January 31, 2011; the story has not been different apart from what really happened that day. Immediately the thing happened as I went to the scene, I saw that it was really my wife that was killed in cold blood in a painted Abuja taxi.

“In fact, I was in the house when she left; she used to leave very early. She left about 7a.m. A couple of minutes after she left, her phone called.

I saw her phone ringing and I said, “Ah, did she forget anything or what has happened?” I picked the call; it was a male voice, which said: “Is this your wife, do you know the owner of the phone, the owner of the phone is dead? I said: “God forbid bad thing? Why should you crack this kind of joke?” In fact, I said it was a couple of minutes she left. I had to call back the number and the person said I have to rush down, that my wife is dead, that police has shot her.” I said “what happened, any accident?” he said I should come to the bank at Mpape.

“That’s how I managed to jump out. My neighbour held me and went with me to the bank. I got there. Police was shooting sporadically and every other thing.

upload_2017-1-24_8-44-33.png

In fact, I could not hold myself. I have to call the number that called me. Somebody came and said I should go and watch and handed the phone over to me. Up till now, I cannot even recognise the person that gave me that phone. I went there and saw my wife lying in the pool of her own blood. I held her and found out that she was dead, cold.

People now dragged me out of the scene. That’s how I saw it,” he narrated. “There and then, hell was let loose as angry mob invaded the bank asking for the head of the police man in question. When the man who took to his heels immediately he knew he had killed somebody, the mob touched the bank and vandalised some vehicles parked in the bank’s premises.”

However, 6 years after, justice has been served. The court sitting at Apo District, Abuja, last week, sentenced the Police officer, Owoicho, who was responsible for the death of Doris, to 12 years imprisonment.

Back