Politics How Jonathan Agreed to Serve Only One Term -Sen Adamu -Daily Trust

A

abujagirl

Senator Abdullahi Adamu was the governor of Nasarawa State from 1999-2007, and a former secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees. He says contrary to the denials, President Goodluck Jonathan did sign an agreement to run for only one term as president in 2010. He also speaks on the challenges the All Progressives Congress (APC) is facing from the PDP in Nasarawa State and his relations with Information Minister, Labaran Maku. Excerpts:

You did say recently that you were present at the meeting where President Goodluck Jonathan agreed to serve for only one term in 2010, can you tell us more?
I was part and parcel of that meeting. I was not the secretary or chairman of the party at that time but I was present at the meeting. The issue arose when people from the northern part of the country who were members of the meeting came up with the argument that the PDP has enthroned zoning and that after former President Olusegun Obasanjo, it was late Umaru Musa Yar’adua who had opportunity to be president as a northerner but as God would have it, he didn’t live to see his tenure through. His second in command naturally took over and the issue arose as we approached 2011 elections, of whether or not Jonathan should contest or the fact that he has completed the tenure of the ticket that he was along with on the first term and that it should be reverted back to the north. There were two issues here, whether he contests or he steps aside and a northerner contests to complete the tenure of Yar’adua as second term and the party does accept that as a practice. And so we were adamant to allow him contest. W argued that he should have the courage and the honour to stand by that arrangement. We argued that if a northerner takes over and he accepts that Jonathan should be his running mate to continue with Yar’adua’s ticket so be it. This debate went on. I remember vividly the person who brought out the suggestion that was acceptable was Chief Samuel Ogbemudia former governor of Bendel State. He proposed that Jonathan be allowed to contest and that when he completes one term it should revert to the north as was the accepted practice in the party but he should have the opportunity of contesting for one term.

Click here to read more

Source: #DailyTrust

#GoodluckJonathan #Yar’adua #AbdullahiAdamu #PDP #Nasarawa

goodluck jonathan.jpg

Back