How My Favourite Uncle Turned Me Into His Servant

M

mrsam

Uncle Ade visits Ibadan every Christmas holiday. He never stays beyond 1 week, but his visits are the highlight of the holiday. He’s everyone’s best uncle. He brings Kilishi, chocolates and the latest gadgets. He gives the best gifts and is known for giving gifts for things other adults do not consider gift-worthy. My parents believe the best gift they can give to any child is a carload of advice. ‘’Kunle be a good boy o, if you get any girl pregnant you must marry her, get a first class like your elder brother...’’

For my matriculation, Uncle Ade sent me a mini laptop. When I graduated, he sent me N40,000 and an offer to do my youth service in Abuja. I was thrilled. Imagine going to live with the very Uncle Ade. When NYSC Call-up letters were released, I was posted to Sokoto. It was a really sad day. I had picked Abuja as my first choice when registering online. Sokoto wasn’t even one of my options. In camp, I applied for relocation and it worked out. Thank Goodness! I was finally going to live with Uncle Ade.

Uncle Ade picked me up from the park and asked why I didn’t fly. He took me straight to his apartment in the Kado area of Abuja. He lived alone because his wife was currently in Canada pursuing her Master’s degree. The house didn’t disappoint. He promptly gave me a room; the rest of the weekend was spent club hopping, eating take outs and basically chilling.

All weekend, my mom kept drumming her usual advice into my ears via phone. ‘’Be good to your uncle o, help around the house o’’ . I knew I would certainly help around the house, but why was she singing it?

On Monday Morning, Uncle Ade dropped me off at the NYSC Secretariat. He dropped N5,000 into my hands before speeding off. Boy, I was living in paradise. I hurriedly finished my registration and went back home.

‘’Welcome o,’’ Uncle Ade’s security greeted immediately as I stepped in; feeling all important, I simply nodded my head at him.

‘’Oga say make you wash all the cloth wey dey ground for him room,’’ the security threw at me as I moved towards the house. I shrugged my shoulder. Washing clothes is not a big deal.

When I saw the clothes on the room floor, it became a big deal. It was a huge mess – underwear, work clothes, bed sheets and natives. It looked like months’ worth of laundry. Back home, my father never allowed me to touch his laundry. He also sent it to a dry cleaner while my mother washed his underwear. Why didn’t Uncle Ade have a dry cleaner?

I had to ‘down’ some major eba before the washing. Uncle Ade didn’t have any cooked food in his kitchen, but the ingredients were all there. I immediately prepared Okro soup and made eba.

I didn’t hear Uncle Ade come in. I almost died from shock when I heard his voice.

‘’Kunle this soup is nice o. Well done,’’ Uncle Ade said. He was holding a plate in his hands and still in work clothes.

I gave him my fake smile. I had barely rested since I got home from the NYSC secretariat. I peeped outside, it was almost dark.

‘’Please help me wash the car when you finish,’’ Uncle Ade added, walking away with the plate in his hands.

Since that day, I became Uncle’s Ade’s everything. I wash, clean and cook. It doesn’t matter that my PPA resumes by 9am every day. He no longer gives me cash or gifts. I barely have a social life because I always have to rush home and do some work. Okay, I get the occasional lift to work, free food and shelter, but does that mean I should work and die? I feel like I’m his domestic help. Who did these tasks before I showed up?

Just last week, I almost missed a job interview because Uncle Ade insisted I washed his car before going. The car was fairly clean because I had washed it the previous day. Some days, I show up to work really tired after a weekend spent playing house. The one time I tried complaining to Uncle Ade, he said it’s all a part of training. I do not want to get my parents involved, as I’m not sure how they’ll react.

NYSC ends soon and I can run to Ibadan, but I have a bigger problem. There is no job waiting in Abuja; my PPA is offering me a job, but do I continue staying with Uncle Ade? I do not have money for rent yet. You know how expensive Abuja can be. I’m scared of complaining and sounding ungrateful, besides everyone loves Uncle Ade. What should I do?

Attachments

• uncle.jpg
    uncle.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 43
Keep quiet and stop complaining. Your uncle has done enough, feeding and clothing you. Stay with him for a while while you work, save enough money until you can stay on your own

Lazy youths that we have nowadays ...

Well, different strokes for different folks. It's a coin-case. While any young man/lady should not shy away from house chores, there are uncles that do not take advantage of you squatting with them for a while. Note: I'm not saying uncles should not send younger ones on errand, but the insistence that he fulfills certain obligations at the expense of 'interviews" sometimes, is sickening. I've stayed with Uncles too, and they don't burden me with responsibilities. I do the needful, and he commends me. Sometimes, we share the responsibilities together if I've to attend to very important things. He also warns that I don't get swamped with house chores that I breakdown, noting that it's when I'm healthy that I can do all these things... Now, that's an Uncle. Not all are like that.

I think what we need to deal with it from the root is: how dependence "slowly" tears families apart. And this case is one out of it. He can't live with his uncle forever. The young man should take a bold step to make a living on his own, get his apartment, and start his life. But, if he's always considering the luxury living, and all, then he will have to contend with the "abuse" for the reasonable part of his life.

Good story. I can relate.

The guy should act as a man and stop looking at the luxury living he gets from his uncle. He should be independent atleast he's almost done serving and should take responsibilities for himself.....Not all that glitters is gold.

You should understand that Uncle is teaching some life lessons. It is either you take it from him, or you join the street.

NYSC life isn't for socials.

You should understand that Uncle is teaching some life lessons. It is either you take it from him, or you join the street.

NYSC life isn't for socials.
Is the Uncle the first person to give free food and shelter. He doesn't want the poor boy to enjoy NYSC - enemy of flexing

It's all a part of life process. He should keep up with his uncle and makes plans to get an apartment for himself.

He should have been able to have some savings while he received free food and shelter, coupled with few months of working, he. should get his own place.

Back