Roaches are insects which are detrimental to humans by nature. They are one of the primary conveyors of harmful microorganisms. They tend to contaminate different items of our daily use. The harmful microbes carried by the roaches are contained in their saliva, and they spread their saliva over anything they can come in contact with, thus infesting that thing. You can effectively eliminate cockroaches with the following steps
1. Cockroaches must have a source of water. Depending on the temperature and their size, they can live for a month without any food, but no more than a week without water. Find all the water leaks in your house and fix them.
2. Clean your house thoroughly. A clean house is key to keeping cockroaches away, and the first place to start is the kitchen. Wash your dishes and put food away promptly after meals. Clean up crumbs and spills right away, and generally keep the area clean. Pay special attention to range tops, as cockroaches love grease.
3. Keep food containers sealed, and don't leave food out for extended periods. Don't leave dirty dishes out overnight, and don't leave fruit on the counter top.
4. Mop the floor routinely to clean up crumbs and sticky spots. Do not slop water against the walls; remember, they need water.
5. Take out the trash regualrly. Have one trash can for food in your house. Don't let it sit for too long. Use a trash can with a lid, rather than one that stays open. Keep it in sealed containers that aren't sitting right next to your house.
6. Seal the house to keep roaches from entering. Seal cracks in exterior walls to keep roaches out of the house by blocking their entrance. Seal cracks everywhere you can inside your house as well. This takes time, but the payoff is great, because you eliminate most of their favorite hiding and breeding places.
7. Use Insecticides. There are various effective insecticides in the market. Get one and use them properly.