Politics 'I have Only One Voter Card'- Obiano Tells Tribunal

L

LequteMan

Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra on Friday told the governorship election tribunal in Awka that he never registered more than once nor possessed two voter cards.

The governor said the only card he had was issued to him by the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) on Sept. 3, 2013.

The governor, who was on the witness box, dispelled allegations of double registration as canvassed by the petitioners.

Obiano was testifying in a petition brought before the tribunal by Dr Chike Obidigbo, an aspirant on the platform of his part, who was challenging his candidature and alleged double registration.

During cross-examination by Obidigbo’s counsel, Mr Oba Maduabuchi, the governor explained that he had a voter card which he used as a Lagos resident.

``When I sought to contest the governorship election in Anambra, I approached the INEC on Aug. 19, 2013 to ascertain the procedure for the transfer of voter registration from Lagos to Anambra.

“The electoral officer requested that I write to INEC which I did same day and was advised to come in two days’ time.

"I went back, did my biometrics and was told to pick my card in Awka,’’ he said.

Obiano said he went to the office of the resident electoral commissioner in Awka on Sept. 3, 2013 and got a new voter card.

"That is the only card I have which I used throughout the elections.”

Earlier, the counsel to INEC, Chief Ademoyega Awomolo (SAN), had confirmed that Obiano had one voter card.

Awomolo also confirmed that the governor had never worked in INEC in any capacity or had anything to do with the making of voters’ registration.

The presiding Judge, Justice Ishaq Bello, told the petitioner’s counsel to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Obiano possessed more than one voter card in his final address.

The matter was adjourned to May 7 for final address by the parties.

Attachments

• images_24.jpeg
    images_24.jpeg
    2.9 KB · Views: 12
Back