Sports I rejected offers from Premier League clubs to join Middlesbrough - Omeruo

Omeruo2.gif

Super Eagles defender Kenneth Omeruo has revealed that he turned down offers from Premier League clubs because he got the assurances of first team football at championship side Middlesbrough.

Omeruo left Chelsea to join Middlesbrough on loan in order to get regular playing time leading up to the World Cup.

Speaking to GazetteLive Omeruo said : “I want to help Middlesbrough achieve their ambitions.

“The coach told me the club has gone from fighting relegation to six points from the play-offs, so that’s my aim, that’s why I am looking forward to my time here, I want to help Middlesbrough climb the table.”

“I’m looking forward to playing in the Championship,” he added, “though I don’t know too much about the division yet.

Hull City Tigers are among the clubs believed to have inquired about Omeruo's availability.

“I’ve been playing regularly for the national team and I want to keep it that way.

“I thought it would be a good move to get some games.

“I had a couple of Premier League offers but there wasn’t an assurance that I would be playing and if I was on the bench at a club I might as well have stayed at Chelsea.”

Back