Sports I see myself managing Manchester United one day - Pep Guardiola

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has revealed his desire to one day coach Manchester United.

Linked with United in the past, the former Barcelona manager opted to replace Jupp Heynckes at Munich rather than taking over from Sir Alex Ferguson.

But the Spaniard has revealed that he sees himself managing Manchester United one day.

In his new book Pep Confidental written by journalist Marti Perarnau, a close friend to Guardiola, the coach recalled watching United beat Schalke in the Champions League.

Perarnau writes: "[Guardiola] was impressed [by Bayern's training facilities, Sabener Strasse] and told [assistant] Manuel Estiarte privately: 'I like this. I could see myself coaching here one day.'

"Pep had said something very similar a few months before, at Manchester United. The day after beating Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-final, Guardiola and Estiarte travelled to Manchester to watch their next opponents in action.

"It was May 4, 2011, and the pair sat together in the stands of Old Trafford watching Sir Alex Ferguson's team beat Schalke 4-1. Once again Pep had turned to his friend and said: 'I like this atmosphere. I could see myself coaching here one day.'

"Guardiola has always felt a deep admiration, almost veneration, for the legendary teams and players of Europe."

Though United currently have Louis Van Gaal, they could be lining up Guardiola to replace him when his three-year contract expires.

rsz_guardiola.jpg

Back