Metro I Told Buhari, IG About Planned Herdsmen Attack, But They Ignored Me - Benue Governor

Jamaz

The Cable reports that Samuel Ortom, Benue governor, says he alerted President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo of the planned attacks by herdsmen, but he was ignored.

Ortom said he also drew the attention of Babagana Monguno, national security adviser, and Ibrahim Idris, inspector-general of police (IGP) to the potential attack.

Speaking before the senate ad hoc committee on security infrastructure, the governor blamed security agencies for the continued attacks and killings by herdsmen.

The governor told the committee led by Ahmad Lawan, senate majority leader, that when he got wind of the planned attacks, he wrote Osinbajo, who was then acting president when Buhari was away on medical leave.

“We wrote to the Vice President on the planned attack on parts of Benue by Fulani herdsmen, because the word was everywhere on the street, but he refused to reply,” Ortom recounted.

“And when there was no response, and when Mr. President came back, I personally went and intimated him, and also wrote.

“The documents are here, I will hand them over to you. I wrote to him on the planned attack by Fulani herdsmen because these threats were on the streets.

“I intimated Mr. President and it was put into writing. On the same October 7, 2017, I wrote to the Inspector General of Police. I told him of a planned attack on our people when there was no response.

“October 27, 2017, I reminded him that these people are planning to attack us, we are law abiding, we have disarmed our youths, and we

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_130608.jpg
    IMG_20180114_130608.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 25
Back