Sports I will choose three points over my wife's £54 million lottery ticket- Tim Sherwood

tim-sherwood1-thumbs-up_3264511.jpg Aston Villa manager, Tim Sherwood has described his side's victory over West Bromwich Albion in one of Tuesday's Premiership fixture as more important than his wife's £54 million lottery ticket.

Gabriel Agbonlahan gave Aston Villa defeated the lead in the 23rd minute of the game but West Brom's Saido Berahino equalised for the Baggies in the 67th minute before Christian Benteke gave the Villa park outfit the winner on the 90th minute through a spot kick to end the game 2-1.

Sherwood believes that their victory was a demonstration of how far his side has come - and the hard work of the players since joining the club.

The 46-year-old guided his side to a vital three points in the first of two Midlands derby's this week, and his first since joining, after a late Christian Benteke penalty helped push Villa outside the relegation zone.

He said: "It’s the best feeling in the world. When I left home this morning my Mrs said to me she had done the lottery euros for a £54 million jackpot. I said I’ll take three points all day. It means more to me.

"I think it shows the effort and how far we’ve come. We’ve improved every game and I think tonight was the best performance - especially in the first half.

"We dictated the pace of the game, controlled the football, moved it through midfield, created chances and should have been more than one nil up.

"We’ve got a group of players who are not really suited to a relegation battle to be honest.

"The old fashion style is blood and thunder and dig out results, so we had to change it and we have to play as if we’re not in a relegation battle and pass and move and I think we did that in the first half."

He said: "I haven’t seen it but Ben should catch it anyway.

"Ben has been absolutely fantastic for us all season and he’s saved us points and won us games. He’s had an off night but there will nobody at this football club that will criticise Ben.

"I don’t have to speak to him – he knows." Goal

Back