I will hug and shake hands with Saintfiet – Keshi

Super Eagles coach,Stephen Keshi,has said that he bore no grudge against his Malawian counterpart,Tom Saintfiet and that he would ensure that they exchange pleasantries when they meet next week for the 2014 World Cup qualifier.
The Football Association of Malawi (FAM) reported Keshi to FIFA,for a perceived racial remarks,after he said that Saintfiet is “a white dude who should go back to Belgium.”
But Keshi defending his comments,said that they were blown out of proportion and that he “does not see anything bad” with what he said.
Keshi made those remarks while reacting to Saintfiet’s comments,that Calabar is unsafe to host the World Cup qualifier between the Super Eagles and Malawi.
“I only gave a strong reaction that it was wrong to insult the same country that Saintfiet was ready to work in. I really don’t see anything bad about defending my country,” Keshi told BBC Sport.
“I honestly have nothing against Saintfiet, I met him when he was in Nigeria for his interview for the job of Nigeria Technical Director here and we spoke at length on football subjects.”
“Apparently, a harmless slang remark of ‘white dude’ was obviously misconstrued and the whole comments have clearly been taken out of context,” Keshi added.
“I believe he would strongly defend Belgium in the same passionate and emotional manner should someone consider it unsafe to play football or visit that country.”
“I have played football in Belgium and other countries around the world, where I have met different people. I still have Belgian friends and others from different backgrounds, so there’s no way I would racially abuse him or anyone for that matter.”
“I hope to shake hands, hug and speak with my good friend Saintfiet when we meet in Nigeria for the World Cup game.
“I think I’ve already said enough, clarified things and need to focus on the crucial game ahead.”
Nigeria will next week host Malawi for the World Cup qualifier and needs just a point to go through to the play-offs round.

Continue reading...

Back