Sports "I wish I had played with Suarez at Barcelona" Fabregas

Chelsea midfielder, Cesc Fabregas has described the current Barcelona attack as the best in the world at the moment adding that he hopes his friend Lionel Messi is fit to face Real Madrid in the Clasico on Saturday.

Pas.jpg

Fabregas, who left the Nou Camp for the Stamford Bridge in 2014 disclosed that wished he had waited a little bit, just to share the same pitch with the Uruguayan forward.

Fabregas spent three seasons at Barca, but left the same summer Suarez arrived from Liverpool - in 2014 - meaning the two never played together at Camp Nou.

"Barcelona have fantastic players," the 28-year-old told Goal in an exclusive interview. "The three in attack decide matches, even though the best of them all is missing at the moment - and that's Leo Messi.

"But Neymar has taken a step forward and Luis Suarez is... I wish I had played with him at Barcelona because he is a striker with whom I would have had a phenomenal understanding.

"The rest, Andres Iniesta, Sergio Busquets and also the defence, which is practically the same (as when I was there), they have a very high level."

Fabregas's transfer to Chelsea last year helped Barca raise the funds required to sign Suarez, reportedly worth in the region of €85 million, but the midfielder admits he still watches the club as much as he can.

"Of course I still follow them," he said. "The Clasico on November 21 is the greatest match that exists is today's football. In a year and a half, I have missed a maximum of seven games."

Fabregas had always said he hoped to finish his career at Camp Nou, but now claims he has no regrets about leaving his boyhood club.

"A lot happens in football and you have to accept the things that happen in the moment they happen," he said. "Once the decision has been made, there is no point looking back.

"I experienced lots of Clasicos, 10 or 12, and I had the chance to score goals at the Bernabeu and to win titles, like on the day of my debut.

"We won 80 per cent of the Clasicos we played in that time. It's something I have experienced, something that excited me. Now I enjoy it like I did when I was a kid, watching it on TV."
The former Arsenal captain will be a keen observer along with millions of fans around the world on Saturday as Luis Enrique's side take on Real and he hopes - like all Barca supporters - that Messi will be ready to feature at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"I don't know if he will play," he said. "Let's hope so, for the good of football and also Barcelona."

Back