Politics Ibori Assets Confiscation Trial Begins, Oando Implicated,Ribadu to Testify

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-9-17_8-1-53.png

Reuter’s news agency reported that a three-week confiscation hearing began at London’s Southwark Crown Court yesterday during which prosecutors will present evidence of James Ibori’s assets and seek court orders to have them seized.

A British prosecutor also said that the former governor of Delta State who was convicted of corruption charges and is currently serving a jail term in London hid some of his assets in Oando Plc.

According to Vanguard News,the prosecutor, Sasha Wass told the court, yesterday, that money passed from the company’s accounts to Ibori’s Swiss account.

Oando is not a party to the case, although a British lawyer was in court representing the company’s interests.

Meanwhile, crown prosecutors have also said that they would call as a witness former Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Chairman, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, concerning the $15 million bribe he was offered.

Ibori was absent in court yesterday, according to his legal team, their client had no legal obligation to be in court, saying it is but a “confiscation of assets” hearing and as such, he has the right to stay away since his team was there looking after his case.

The case was adjourned till 10.00 a.m Tuesday morning.

I always like this hairsplitting that lawyers do. Their client is not obliged to appear in court, true. I agree. But why isn't he there? I know he doesn't need to be there, but I am curious as to why he isn't. Is our dear Ibori suddenly camera-shy?

I always like this hairsplitting that lawyers do. Their client is not obliged to appear in court, true. I agree. But why isn't he there? I know he doesn't need to be there, but I am curious as to why he isn't. Is our dear Ibori suddenly camera-shy?
He'll rather chill in his prison cell than sit before a boring judge

He is there. His lawyer is representing him.
Why waste time in a boring court when he could be chilling@ the prison common room? :D

Back