Sports Iheanacho will be successful at Manchester City - Manu Garba

Iheanacho.gif

Golden Eaglets coach Manu Garba believes Kelechi Iheanacho's move to Manchester City will be a success but is worried about the impact the club's developmental programme would have on the player.

Iheanacho's father,James revealed last week that his son has agreed a deal in principle to join the English Premier League side.

The 17-year old who emerged as the most valuable player at last year's FIFA under 17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates,was the toast of many clubs with both FC Porto and Sporting Lisbon.

“I believe he (Iheanacho) can succeed there (at Manchester City). He is a kind of player that can always deliver when he’s focused. It is widely known that African players don’t know how to manage successes, but if he’s disciplined and focused, he’ll come out good,” Garba was quoted as saying on The Punch.

“My worry is that I hear Manchester City don’t have a quality youth development programme and I understand Iheanacho will have to train at a football academy in Ghana; I don’t think this is a very good plan for the boy.”
Garba also faulted the processed Iheanacho had to go through before settling for Manchester City,adding that young players should always seek an advice before making moves abroad.

“I believe he (Iheanacho) can succeed there (at Manchester City). He is a kind of player that can always deliver when he’s focused. It is widely known that African players don’t know how to manage successes, but if he’s disciplined and focused, he’ll come out good,” Garba said.

“My worry is that I hear Manchester City don’t have a quality youth development programme and I understand Iheanacho will have to train at a football academy in Ghana; I don’t think this is a very good plan for the boy.”

Back