Ikpeba,Adepoju disagrees over Oboabona’s refusal to do trials with Arsenal

• Thread starter Chris Maduewesi
  • Start date
C

Chris Maduewesi

Ex-internationals,Victor Ikpeba and Mutiu Adepoju,have varying views following a failed possible move to Arsenal,of Super Eagles defender Godfrey Oboabona.
Arsenal reportedly wanted to take Oboabona on trials before they can offer him any deal,which the Sunshine Stars player opposed to,adding that his exploits with the national team in the past one year,has elevated him above the ‘Trials level.’
While Ikpeba believes that Oboabona is not above trials,Adepoju feels it is a downgrade,considering that he has played a pivotal role in the Super Eagles defence, since 2013.
Speaking to MTNFootball.com,Ikpeba said: “Oboabona was wrongly advised, he should have gone for the trials even if he does not make it into Arsenal, another English side would have seen him.”
“I know he would say he has won the AFCON and plays for Sunshine Stars but he should understand that it’s not the same way these European coaches view European and South America players they view African players.”
“Yes, we have talent but you need to understand how they play, adjust to their weather and a lot of things, so I think he should have gone for the trials because I know Wenger has a lot of respect for African players.”
But Adepoju differs,speaking to The Punch,the former Super Eagles ‘Headmaster’ said that Oboabona has passed the level of trials.
“He (Oboabona) has passed that level having played for the national team and especially playing a major role in winning the African cup. Trials are meant for players who have not established themselves at that level. I am not sure that Wenger would ask any South American player featuring in his national team to go through trials.”
“I know it is a great opportunity to play for Arsenal but that does not mean that a player at that level should now reduce himself starting at trials level. The Nigeria national team is not a small team and he has established himself in the starting list. Oboabona took the right decision; that’s the way I feel about it.”
So is Oboabona above trials?

Continue reading...

Back