Metro Jobless Man Jailed for Stealing Phones

L

LequteMan

An Ojo Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Friday sentenced a 34-year-old man, Ifeanyi Okafor, to six months imprisonment with hard labour for stealing.

In his ruling, the Magistrate, Mr. T.O. Shomade, said that the accused did not deserve to be given an option of fine.

The Prosecutor, ASP. Godwin Eze, had told the court that Okafor, stole phones and N65,000 on Oct. 22 and Nov. 8, respectively at the Alaba Rago Market, Ojo, near Lagos.

He said: "Okafor on Oct. 22 at about 10 p.m. at the aforementioned market, stole phones and cash valued at N65,000, property of one Ms Helen Osokame.

"Okafor on Nov. 8, stole the sum of N65,000, property of one Ms Joy Orakaen."

Okafor, who is unemployed, had pleaded guilty to the charges, saying “I have no job and that is why I stole the phones and the money; please have mercy on me.”

gavel.jpg

I'm pretty sure he must have rehearsed that line of him being jobless and mercy shown on him.

This is just plain foolishness. There are many jobless people in Nigeria that are not being sent to prison at this moment. Why should stealing be an only option?

Reading the headline; the only emotions in could conjure was disgust, not sympathy.

Not everyone is as self sufficient or smart enough to seek more legal alternatives.
There are many who steal, employed and unemployed. He just caught our attention today

Back