Sports Jose Mourinho's Words After Man Utd's EFL Cup Win Over Man City

L

LequteMan

Manchester United on Wednesday night defeated Manchester City by a lone goal at Old Trafford in the EFL cup.

Juan Mata struck a left footed shot into the net early in the second half to set the Red Devils a home tie against West Ham in the quarter finals of the competition.

Speaking after the game, Jose Mourinho, Manchester United coach said:

"I'm happy. The players did everything, they deserved to win," he told Skysports.

"We are obviously happy because, in the last week when everything has gone against us, the fans have felt deeply the negative results and today was a good chance to clean that feeling.

"To win against Manchester City gives everyone a better feeling and I'm especially happy for the players and the fans."

When he was asked if Sunday's result played a role in his decision to name a strong team, Mourinho added: "Yes. [Before Sunday] We were in a good run of results - in the last seven we lost one - so Sunday was a big defeat with numbers that the history of this clubs do not deserve.

"When I am in a club my heart belongs to the fans and I felt deeply for them. The reality is that I never had fans like these, we lost 4-0 and we were supported.

"Today the stadium was full of real support and it looks like the love people have for the club is bigger than bad results or three bad seasons.

"So we had to give something back, regardless of the result - we could have lost and I would have the same feeling for my players.

My players gave absolutely everything in a very difficult run which presented matches every two days - big games against Liverpool, Fenerbahce, Chelsea and City.

"They gave absolutely everything. Even if we lost today the feeling was absolute fantastic because the players showed they really care and they care for the fans."

Attachments

• mourinho post match.PNG
    mourinho post match.PNG
    310.7 KB · Views: 21
Back