Keshi happy over CHAN qualification

C

Chris Maduewesi

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi,has expressed his delight over the qualification of the Homebased Eagles for the African Nations Championship(CHAN) in South Africa.
Despite losing 2-0 to Ivory Coast on Saturday,Nigeria pulled through,by virtue of a superior goals difference,qualifying 4-3 on aggregate.
However,Keshi said that his team lost the game,because they lacked the needed composure to get a better result,as they struggled in the first 25 minutes of the encounter.
“ I must say that it was a good game. We played an Ivorian side that is quite good, my team was a little jittery at the beginning,’’ Keshi said.
“We thank God we qualified at the end of the day but my boys did not pick up till the second half and I must say to you that I am happy and this is a great experience for a young side like the home based side.”
“If you say it was a game of two halves I may tend to agree with you. Because we started poorly largely due to experience and then when we came into the game they struggled against us, but that is football, we are just grateful to the NFF,Nigerians and God that we made it for the first time to the CHAN tournament”.
But Keshi was optimistic that his team will overcome their fear,when they get to the tournament next year: “I am sure that my team will garner more experience by the time they play in South Africa,’’ Keshi added.

Continue reading...

Back