Metro Kidnapper Evans Disowns Controversial Lawyer, Ogungbeje

P

PressRoom

Nabbed kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, popularly known as Evans, has distanced himself from lawsuits filed on his behalf by a Lagos-based lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje.

Ogungbeje had in two suits filed on June 28 and 29 respectively, dragged the Inspector General of Police, the Nigeria Police Force, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police Lagos State and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Lagos State before the Federal High Court.

upload_2017-7-3_11-10-22.png

Ogungbeje

Ogungbeje asked the court to declare Evans’ detention as illegal, even claiming N300m as general and exemplary damages against the police for alleged illegal detention and unconstitutional media trial.

In an affidavit said to have been deposed to by Evans father, Mr Stephen Onwuamadike, it was averred that the suspect has been subjected to media trial without any court order by the respondents.

It was further averred that the media trial and news orchestrated by the police have continued to generate reactions in both print and electronic media without the suspected kidnap kingpin being afforded fair hearing before a court of law.

The lawyer contended that Evans’ continued detention since his arrest on June 10, without a charge, or release on bail, is an infringement on his fundamental rights.

But speaking in an interview with Channels Television on Sunday, Evans said “I have no hand in any case filed against the police and I did not speak with any lawyer or my father to file a case on my behalf. All I will say is that they should temper justice with mercy.”

Back