Politics Kwara: Irepodun LGA Uncovers 399 "Ghost Workers" on Monthly Payroll

L

LequteMan

Alhaji Luqman Owolewa, the Chairman of Irepodun Local Government Council in Kwara, on Sunday, said the council after some scrutiny has discovered 339 “ghost workers” on its monthly pay roll.

“When I assumed duty in November, I was surprised at the few number of workers reporting for duty and this prompted my undertaking a personal assessment to know what was wrong," he said.

“I immediately ordered the stoppage of the salaries of those workers we could not identify physically.

“It was there that we discovered lots of discrepancies in the council’s past employment processes and we found out that only 500 of the 839 workers of the council were genuine staff members.’’

He told newsmen in Omu-Aran, headquarters of the council, that an audit committee would soon be set up to scrutinise the council’s pay system, fish out more “ghost workers” and correct other anomalies in the council’s pay process.

Owolewa said N2.5 million was now saved monthly following the process embarked upon to regularise the pay system.

ghost-worker-pix-july.jpg

Back