Metro Lagosians Cry out over Hike in Price of Kerosene

L

LequteMan

Some residents in Lagos have called on government to set up a task force to enforce the official N50 per litre pump price of kerosene.

In separate interviews with newsmen in Lagos on Friday they said many dealers were selling kerosene as high as N150 per litre.

Mr Felix Balogun, an official of First Bank, said many marketers were not selling kerosene at the official price of N50 and this had made cooking difficult in some homes.

Balogun urged the regulatory agencies to sanction marketers selling above the official pump price and urged the Federal Government to find a lasting solution to the persistent high cost of the product.

Mrs Deborah Yakubu, a kerosene retailer in Onipanu area of Lagos, blamed the high cost of the commodity on both major and independent marketers.

“They sold a litre of kerosene to me at N105 per litre with other charges; how much did they expect me to sell it to make my gain.

“Government should set up an independent task force to sanction any erring marketer,’’ she said.

Alhaja Modinat Ojora, a food seller in Maryland, said that the situation was pathetic and urged the Federal Government to find a way of addressing the problem.

Mr Bamidele Ogunshakin, the Managing Director of Ollymore Oil and Gas Ltd., said that the station was allocated 10,000 litres to sell at N50 per litre and all had been exhausted.

Ogunshakin said that marketers, who were selling above the official pump price, were sourcing the product on their own at the rate of N98 per litre, excluding other charges.

A litre of kerosene costs between N160 and N170 outside the filling stations.

kerosene.jpg

Back