Sports LAnce Armstrong has no reason to participate in Tour de France championship- David Howman

The director-general of the World Anti-Doping Agency, David Howman has kicked against Lance Armstrong's proposed participation at this year's Tour de France championship, saying he doesn't have the integrity to partake in the race.

David Howman.jpg

Ex-footballer Geoff Thomas, who is hoping to raise £1m to fight blood cancer has asked Armstrong to join a ride along the race route, despite his lifetime doping ban.

"It's disappointing Armstrong should take centre stage in an event which he cheated in so often," Howman said.

"He's welcome to try to save lives. I don't think he should be ambush marketing an event which is far superior to what he is doing."

The charity ride will follow the same route as the Tour, a day ahead of the race.

Armstrong was stripped of his record seven Tour titles and banned from most organised sport for life by the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) in 2012 after admitting on US television that he had used performance-enhancing drugs during all of his Tour victories.

"Armstrong was banned in 2012 and we are now in 2015," said Howman. "If he had information that he felt was going to lead to a reduction on his ban, surely he would have provided it by now?

"What's stimulating him to come forward now? I don't know. What he has said to the Cycling Independent Reform Commission was insufficient to lead to a reduction.

"I'm just a little cynical."

Back