Metro Latest Attacks: Boko Haram is on The Run - President Buhari

L

LequteMan

Nigeria - President Muhammadu Buhari, in an interview in the United States says the recent attacks by the islamist Boko Haram sect indicates that the group is on the run.

"Boko Haram is on the run. We are beginning to turn the tide against Boko Haram. Yes, we have seen a recent increase in civilian deaths, but that is because Boko Haram members are now desperately changing tactics to avoid confronting a renewed and more effective military effort. Instead, they are now targeting civilians. It is a sign of their weakness, not their strength.

He also said defeating Boko Haram needs a combined military and social answer that will defeat and address the underlying social issues that are driving it and that he has put measures into place step by step.

buharii.jpg

"First, I have moved the centre of military operations from Abuja to the heart of the insurgency in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, so that the military leaders are on the ground to lead the effort at the frontline.

"Secondly, I have revamped the nation’s military leadership with a new team that has the skills, experience and commitment to defeat the terrorists on the ground.

"Thirdly, I am working to improve the professionalism and accountability of the armed forces, including clamping down on the misappropriation of funds that has led to serious lack of resources and equipment in the battle against Boko Haram.

"Lastly, I am seeking to work with Nigeria’s partners, both our neighbours in the region and internationally such as the United States to develop a package of measures to tackle the entrenched marginalisation in North Eastern Nigeria and the surrounding areas in neighbouring states – where poverty levels are over 75 per cent.

He added that a marshal programme is needed for the Sahel region to be able to prevent further radicalisation and insecurity in the long-term.

Back