Malawi: Government Sells Private Jet to Feed the Poor

A

abujagirl

images

Malawi will use $ 15 million from the sale of the country’s presidential jet to feed the poor and grow crops to fight malnutrition, an official said Thursday.

AFP reported that, it was a collective government decision that the money realised from the sale of the jet will be used to purchase maize locally and some for legume production.

President Joyce Banda decided last year to sell the jet, bought by her successor Bingu wa Mutharika for $ 22 million, due to the cost of running it. The 14-passenger aircraft was auctioned off to Bohnox Enterprise Ltd.

Mutharika, who died last year from heart attack, often defended the buying of the jet, saying it was cheap to run and a status symbol for the poor southern African nation.

This is more argument for a female president. I am a man, but President Joyce's heart is obviously in the right place, as compared to her predecessor Bingu wa Mutharika (rest his soul).

Maybe we need a woman president? One who can actually empathize?

This is more argument for a female president. I am a man, but President Joyce's heart is obviously in the right place, as compared to her predecessor Bingu wa Mutharika (rest his soul).

Maybe we need a woman president? One who can actually empathize?

wouldn't work i nigeria. Patricia etteh, 1st female speaker turned out to be a bigger thief than the men

Back