World Man Carries Cross for 4 Days to End Gibraltar Dispute

L

LequteMan

crox.jpg

Gibraltar is a territory on the southern tip of Spain which measures just 6.8 square kilometres and is home to about 30,000 people.

Spain ceded Gibraltar to Britain in perpetuity in 1713 but has long argued that it should be returned to Spanish sovereignty. London refused.

The latest tensions between Madrid and London over the outpost began in July after Gibraltar boats dumped blocks of concrete into the sea near the territory to create an artificial reef that would foster fish populations.

Spain said the reef would block its fishing boats and introduced stringent border checks, creating waits of several hours for motorists trying to enter the tiny territory.

An unemployed 50-year old Spaniard, Justo Marquez has arrived in Gibraltar after walking with a huge wooden cross on his back for four days to ask for God's help in ending a dispute between Madrid and London over Gibraltar.

The cross weighs ten kilos and stands three metres high by two metres wide with a set of wheels at its base.

“My goal is to be here for 24 hours to ask God to intervene in this conflict and resolve it instead of politicians,'' he said.
He plans to return to his hometown of Nerja by bus.

"If I can't take the cross on the bus I will just leave it here,'' he said.

Back