Metro Man Defrauds Bishop Oyedepo by Impersonating Bishop Kukah

L

LequteMan

Jehu Kwasu, a political science graduate, has been arrested for defrauding several prominent Nigerians of huge sums of money by impersonating Bishop Matthew Kukah, Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese.

He is serving a two-month sentence in the Keffi Prison. On Friday he said he realised over N5.7m from the fraud stint.

Police say only N1.7m was found in his account after he was arrested; he'd spent most of his loot on women and hard drugs.

Jehu-Kwasu1.jpg
Photo credit: Punch

During his confession, Jehu said:

“I opened a Guaranty Trust Bank account in Bishop Kukah’s name. I registered a SIM card in my name, but used Bishop Kukah’s picture on my True Caller account, so that when I call, his picture would appear (on the recipient’s phone.)” He also has a passport to that effect, he said.

He said he'd ask his victims for money to cater for some IDPs in the north.

“I collected N500,000 from Otudeko, CEO, Honeywell: From Admiral Kanu, I got N500,000. I also got N500,000 from Bishop Oyedepo and N2m from Dantata. I also got money from Gen. Wushishi and others.

Bishop Kukah got wind of the scam and alerted the authorities who placed a restriction on his bank account. Jehu went to the bank to complain and was arrested.

Reports say Kwasu is the son of late Anglican Bishop, James Kwasu, and that he also used his father’s name to extort money from the Katsina State Governor, Aminu Masari, when the latter was the Speaker, House of Representatives.

Punch

Last edited by a moderator:
Back