Sports Manchester United are still title contenders- Ferguson

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes that they are not entirely out of this season's Premier League title race.

United are currently 14 points adrift of the League leaders Arsenal,but Ferguson still thinks that they can claw their way back and retain the title they won last season.

David Moyes team lost 3-1 on Sunday away to Chelsea and equally crashed out of the Capital One cup on Wednesday to Sunderland,compounding to an already bad season that the team is transiting from one management to another.

But Ferguson says there is no limit to what United can achieve,tipping them to bounce back as they enter the final lap of the season.

"I'm not writing anyone off," Ferguson told BBC Sport. He however praised the top six in front of United but warned that they are:"in behind them chasing".

"United can do anything. They have got that great philosophy and history, they will always do well," he added.

Ferguson added: "I find it very difficult to pick the top four. I find it even more difficult to say who is going to win the league.

"I can watch the team whenever I want and I've really enjoyed it. I'm going as a supporter now and instead of suffering with the team, I'm suffering or enjoying it with the fans. I'm really enjoying watching the team play."

"This year for the first time it really looks as if five or six could be involved (in the title race), so it's a great Premier League," Ferguson further said in another separate interview on Sky Sports News.

"It's still not an easy league to win. I think the English game is the most honest and is the hardest league to win in terms of the competition you face. You can lose to anyone.

"You have to say Manchester City are playing so well, there is no dispute about that, but the teams at the top at the minute must have a big chance.

"Arsenal must have a big chance. Everyone keeps writing them off, saying they won't last, but we're into the second half of the season and they are still there. Then you've got Chelsea, Everton, Tottenham, who are starting to do well.

"United always do well in the second half of the season, so we've got a fantastic league and we should be proud of that."

ASG-011600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess you need to give Moyes a little more time............ He is wearing a pair of shoes bigger than him and he will have to grow to fit in to the shoe
He's had enough time. We've seen no improvement. I'm talking of booting him away froom Old Trafford, I just want hiim to get some heat, know he shouldn't be relaxed andcomplacent.

Man Utd needs kuality CMs n DMs. Moyes is yet to bring in anyone and it's 6 days before the window closes.

If Man Utd doesn't get good CMs n DMs, then kualifying for the UCL next season looks bleak.

Chap steady o... what would have happened if Arsenal kicked out the Prof a few years ago.. he won nothing. Let the guy settle. This year expect nothing :) as long as he is not in the bottom half of the league.

Chap steady o... what would have happened if Arsenal kicked out the Prof a few years ago.. he won nothing. Let the guy settle. This year expect nothing :) as long as he is not in the bottom half of the league.

Arsene Wenger always kualified for the UEFA champions league. Always. Man Utd is on the verge of not kualifying. I'm not expecting any trophy, just kualification for Europe's elite competition.

Back