Sports Manchester United - Van Gaal warns his side against complacency

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has warned his players that anybody who fails to perform on the pitch should not expect to play for the club.

"Nobody is walking back in my team, believe me. You have to earn it on the training ground," he told reporters. "But every player here already knows that. I have always said that just because players have the best name, it doesn’t mean that they are the best for the team.

"I am always looking for a constant level of performance – from the team and from individual players."

United has been hit by a number of injuries this season, with Michael Carrick and Phil Jones notable absentees, but Van Gaal has been impressed with the players who have been drafted in to provide cover.

The Dutchman has handed first-team berths to Patrick McNair and Tyler Blackett, among others, and has praised the young stars.

"Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick and Phil Jones are great football players, but, believe me, sometimes the other players are doing better," he added. "It is not only the name. I have seen, for example, a player like McNair. He was outstanding in the first match and you have seen the reaction of the fans to that.

"Of course Phil Jones, Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling have not been available. But I am always thinking that youngsters can take the job over. It’s not any problem. We have also good youth players – and we have showed that already with not just McNair but with Blackett and also with Jesse Lingard. Their progress is more quicker than you think."

Van Gaal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back