Sports Maradona blast Pele over honorary Ballon d'or award

Argentine football legend Diego Maradona has aimed another tirade at Brazilian legend Pele.

There is no love lost between the former footballers,as people take sides over who was the greatest ever footballer.

Maradona questioned why Pele should be awarded with the honorary Ballon d'Or and feels he will always be superior than him.

Pele was at the last Ballon d'or award ceremony in Zurich on January 11,2014 given the honorary award with Maradona drumming it loud that he got the award before the Brazilian.

"How can people say Pele received the Ballon d'Or before me? I received the Golden Ball for services to football from France Football in 1996," the Argentine told reporters.

"So to make out as if Pele is the first one to receive the award before me is a huge mistake.

"For me, Pele will always remain second best in football when compared to Maradona. Look at it this way, in his own country, Brazil, Pele is the second best sportsman after former Formula One racer Ayrton Senna.

"Pele will always be second, be it in international football or in Brazilian sports. The sad thing is that he is second best and he will continue to stay in that position.

"While presenting this year's Ballon d'Or to Cristiano Ronaldo, Pele uttered his name as 'Cristiano Leonardo'. This just shows where he belongs."

rsz_asg-025120.jpg

He also got an award in 1996, why the bad blood? His jealousy is inappropriate.

Now that just reeks of pride and self centredness. He should be contented with what he has, there are many brilliant people on the face of the earth.

None I can readily pinpoint at the moment,but I am very sure Pele is not a saint.

Non of us are saints. Pele has always carried himself with dignity. Maradona is not in his class as a human being. If there was ever a great ambassador for the sport over many years it is Pele. The fact that you nothing comes to mind when this guy has been in the public eye since he was 17 years old tells you a great deal.

Non of us are saints. Pele has always carried himself with dignity. Maradona is not in his class as a human being. If there was ever a great ambassador for the sport over many years it is Pele. The fact that you nothing comes to mind when this guy has been in the public eye since he was 17 years old tells you a great deal.
Well maybe. Ambassadorial wise for the sport,Maradona does not hold a candle to Pele. On the pitch,we all have divided opinions who graced the sport better.

Back