Sports Michael Essien seals move to AC Milan

Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien has confirmed that he is joining Italian side AC Milan from Chelsea.

Essien who found games hard to come by at Chelsea,will now join Milan on a free transfer after he was given the green light by the London club.

The 31-year old revealed that the new AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf convinced him to make the move to San Siro.

Essien has been confined mainly to the bench this season at Chelsea and was not even registered in the club's 25-man squad for the UEFA Champions League.

"I can't wait to play for Milan," Essien told reporters after he touched down in Italy on Friday. "Kaka and Balotelli are great players.

"I joined Milan because of Seedorf. I spoke with him two days ago. Seedorf is a great man and I hope that he will also become a great manager.

"I'm happy to be at Milan. They're a great club. l will do my best for them.

"I want to thank [Chelsea chairman] Roman Abramovich, the squad and Mourinho, who gave me the chance to join Milan."

Being a World Cup year,Essien wants to gain more playing time in order to cement a place in Ghana's team to Brazil.

Essien.jpg

Back