Sports Mikel can still win African player of the year award - Victor Ikpeba

Ikpeba.JPG

Former Super Eagles player Victor Ikpeba believes John Obi Mikel can still be named African Player of the year in the coming years.

Ikpeba who himself won the African player of the year award in 1998,said that Mikel should not give up as he has the quality to one day land the coveted award.

Last week,Mikel finished second behind Ivory Coast international Yaya Toure,who was named player of the year for a third consecutive time on the continent.

“He should not give up, he should continue to up his game and I believe he will win it soon,” Ikpeba was quoted as saying on Vanguard Sports.

“We Nigerians were disappointed because we have not won it in a while and the expectation was for Mikel to win it,” Ikpeba said.

“It was a close call, and I think Mikel’s stat in the EPL affected him. He did not have a great stat, and Yaya was on fire.

“Mikel had a great Nations Cup and Confederations Cup and he was ahead of Yaya there, but I think Yaya’s nomination as the only African for the Ballon d’Or also played a part.

“But I want to say congratulations to Mikel. He had been on top of his game these last two years and if he continues like this, he will certainly win it soon.”

Only if he is a time lord
@[USERGROUP=4]Senior Member[/USERGROUP]
Very possible,what if a miracle happens and Nigeria wins the World Cup? that is the only marker he needs to win it next year. The coaches would 'sentimentally' think he now merits it. By the way,officially he is still only 26.

Very possible,what if a miracle happens and Nigeria wins the World Cup? that is the only marker he needs to win it next year. The coaches would 'sentimentally' think he now merits it. By the way,officially he is still only 26.
Nigeria doesn't necessarily have to win the world cup for MIkel to be crowned APOTY, semi-final place is enough. If he also improves his performances at Chelsea, he'll be a fav. to win it.

Nigeria doesn't necessarily have to win the world cup for MIkel to be crowned APOTY, semi-final place is enough. If he also improves his performances at Chelsea, he'll be a fav. to win it.
That is what will get him close,semifinal,fair enough. But he could still fall short with that benchmark.

That is what will get him close,semifinal,fair enough. But he could still fall short with that benchmark.

How is that even possible? The semis at the world cup is huge for an African team. The only hiindrance is if he didn't conttribute significantly to the team.

Back