Mikel threatened to break Clattenburg’s legs – Halsey

More revelations have emerged in the racism row that happened between Nigerian international,John Obi Mikel and referee Mark Clattenburg in last season’s Premier League game between Chelsea and Manchester United.
In an ill-tempered game,Mikel alleged that Clattenburg used a rasict slur against him,but the referee has since been cleared.
Former referee Mark Halsey,said that Mikel threatened Clattenburg after the game that: “I’m going to break your legs” which he directed at the referee.
Halsey in his autobiography ‘Added time: Surviving cancer, death threats and the Premier League’, serialised in The Sun further added that it took the intervention of then Chelsea manager,Roberto Di Matteo to stop Mikel.
“My information was that Mikel stormed into Mark’s dressing room when he was told about the remark after the game, shouting: “I’m going to break your legs. You called me a f****** monkey”.
“He tried to land a punch on Mark but was pulled away by a combination of the Di Matteo and assistant Eddie Newton and Mark’s three officials, fourth official Mike Jones and assistants Mick McDonough and Simon Long.”
“Even before Mark had left Stamford Bridge that night, the press were knocking on the door of his home. The problem was that he could say nothing in his defence as part of legal advice and clauses in our contracts.”
The former referee said that the action almost led to an all-out strike by referees,in protest at the lack of support for Clattenburg.

Continue reading...

Back