Mikel was truly injured – Keshi

Super Eagles coach,Stephen Keshi has defended John Obi Mikel’s withdrawal from last week’s international friendly against Burkina Faso,adding that the player even played with an injury in the World Cup qualifier against Malawi.
There have been scathing criticisms on Mikel for pulling out of the game,with some of his teammates said to have even accused him of feigning an injury.
“In the early part of the game the calf injury nearly recurred but when the doctors signalled to him over what the situation was, he offered to continue the game,” Keshi is quoted as saying on KickOffNigeria.com
Keshi revealed that Mikel had to be excused from the Burkina Faso game,to go for further examination at his club:
“After the game we had to review the situation and ask him to go for proper treatment at his club before their next game, instead of risking him against Burkina Faso in the friendly.”
Mikel returned to England after the game against Malawi for further treatment and featured for his club in their 1-0 loss to Everton on Saturday.
However,Mikel debunked speculation that he picks games he wants to play for Nigeria.
“It’s sad if people hold such views about me but I am and will always be glad to play for Nigeria,” Mikel said.
“But there is nothing I can do if I am injured and I am sure that Nigerians understand that fact. My teammates also understand because many of them have been excused from the team in the recent past on account of injuries.”

Continue reading...

Back