Politics Ministerial Nominee Weeps before Nigerian Senate

A

abujagirl

Alhaji Abduljelili Oyewale Adesiyan, one of the ministerial nominee nominated by President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday wept before members of the Nigerian Senate when asked to give the senate further information about himself other than what was contained in his CV.

Adesiyan sobered up and began to shed live tears,"I did not kill Chief Bola Ige", he said through the years.

He went on to say, "It may interest you, Distinguished Senators, to know that I am one of those wrongly accused of having a hand in the death of my mentor, Chief Bola Ige. It was all political blackmail because I knew nothing about the death of Chief Ige.

"I was detained for three and half years for something I knew nothing about. I stand here to say that I knew nothing about the death of Chief Bola Ige.

Adesiyan tears caused ruckus in the senate, the ruckus got worse when Senator Ehigie Uzamere, after raising his hand and being acknowledged by the senate president, David Mark got up to say; "Mr. nominee, you mentioned in the course of your speech the death of Chief Bola Ige. Can you swear by the Quran that you do not know anything about the death of Bola Ige?".

"You said that you did not kill Bola Ige, that you were accused wrongly and detained for three and half years. We are in the same boat because I was also detained. The question I want you to answer is did you kill Bola Ige? Did you have anything to do with the death of Bola Ige? If the Holy Quran is not here as some senators said, I want to ask you, did you kill Bola Ige. What do you know about the death of Bola Ige?", Uzamere added.

A still sober Adesiyan thanked Uzamere for the questions, "I thank Senator Uzamere for his questions. I do not know whether I can be availed with a copy of the Holy Quran. But I maintain and say that I did not kill Chief Bola Ige. I did not have any reason to kill Chief Bola Ige, but I was wrongly fingered to have killed him.

"Chief Bola Ige sent me to United States for education; he was my mentor. I am saying it today if Chief Bola Ige gave money to anybody, it is my family and I. The reason I was fingered was because as Assistant Secretary of AD, I changed to PDP. Because of that, I was fingered and punished as having something to do with the assassination of Chief Bola Ige.When I was in detention, I used to pinch myself whether I was dreaming because I had nothing to do with the death of Chief Bola Ige. It was all calculated political blackmail", Adesiyan added.

The former Attorney-General and Justice Minister was assassinated in his Bodija, Ibadan home on December 23, 2001.

adesiyan weeping.jpg

Photo Credit: The Nation

Back