Metro Moremi Ajasoro: Wole Soyinka Wades in To Ooni, Olugbo’s Feud

kemi

Social Member
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has urged the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, to ignore anybody, who called Moremi Ajasoro a traitor.

moremi statue.jpg

He said such view did not take away anything from the reality of who Moremi was.

Though Soyinka did not mention anybody’s name, observers noted that the social critic was referring to Olugbo of Ugbo, Oba Fredrick Akinruntan, who had controversially referred to the late Moremi as a traitor that was not worthy of celebrating few days after the Ooni inaugurated a statue in her honour.

The Nobel laureate spoke at a book launch which was one of the activities lined up to mark the one year coronation anniversary of the monarch in Ile Ife on Wednesday.

He said, “There is controversy about the origin of someone whom we know as the origin of Yoruba race, kingdom, black race and humanity. The controversy may continue for long but the reality is that Kabiesi, the Ooni of Ife above all, Ile Ife is the cradle of humanity.

“We know what we know; we know what we accept and believe and that remains the fact. I have just gone to see the statue of Moremi and the controversy on Moremi. I learnt that some people said that Moremi, the heroine, is a traitor. That does not touch any part of reality of what Moremi is or was. And I don’t want you (Ooni) to spend any time or energy at all responding to counter or alternative theories. It is not necessary.”

Back