Sports Mourinho and Pellegrini talk tough ahead of EPL clash on Sunday

As Chelsea and Manchester City renew their rivalry in the English Premier League on Sunday, both coaches have demanded victory from their players after a not-so-good outing at the UEFA champions league during the week.

Chelsea were held 1-1 by Schalke 04 while Bayern Munich defeated Manchester City 1-0.

Chelsea defeated City both home and away in the Premier League last season, Mourinho has told his players to forget the past, saying previous results as irrelevant.

"What happened last year and seasons before I don't think has a relation to this season. It's a completely different story,” said Mourinho.

"It doesn't matter the record we had last season against City. We respect them totally, because they deserve that respect, but at the same time we believe in us and we want to win.

"Can we go there and win like we did last season? Obviously we can, but can we lose? We also can. And I don't think statistics play a part in this.

"I want to win this game to get three points. I'm totally focused on three points and the Premier League 2015, (rather) than history."

"We had four victories, we couldn't win two days ago," Mourinho added.

"We were always scoring three, four, five, six goals and in the last match we scored only one.

While Pellegrini is also saying that the game against Chelsea on Sunday is a must win for his side to keep the chances of defending the EPL title well.

"I always try to think of positives, so I hope we are not going to lose and we are not going to go eight points behind Chelsea,” he said.

"I think we were unlucky in the last two games - against Bayern Munich in the way we lost with that goal and against Arsenal we deserved to win the three points.

"But things happen. We must win our next game at home and with that we will be two points behind the leader.

"That for me will be a very good start after playing Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. That is why it is important to win on Sunday."

Attachments

• rsz_spx-051957.jpg
    rsz_spx-051957.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Back