Politics New PDP Governors to Boycott Oct. 7 Meeting with President Jonathan

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-9-23_7-18-21.png

The Baraje-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (New PDP), may boycott the October 7 meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan and his supporters.

According to THE NATION, a source close to the New PDP governors said they could have honored the meeting in deference to the President but for his close aides’ continuous umbrage against members of the New PDP, thereby giving the impression that the President and the Alhaji Bamanga Tukur-led faction are prepared for a fight to the finish in the “battle for the soul of the party”.

Both parties agreed to meet on October 7 at the last session on September 16.

The source further said, “For now, nothing has changed. We had initially agreed to honor the October 7 meeting with the President out of courtesy. But it’s obvious that some power drunk persons have not been able to caution their aides against making inflammatory statements that may jeopardize the peace effort".

“As things stand today, we are collective in our decision to boycott the October 7 Aso Rock meeting. What are we going to discuss when some of the close aides of the President have said that they are ready for fight to the finish? I think they are toying with this matter and they will soon realize that this is no longer a joke".

“Maybe, by next year, when it dawns on them that the President cannot win the election with all the battles going on, they may come to the table. But that will be too late. I pray they don’t push us to join the APC or any other party. If that happens, then we can say a goodbye to the PDP as a ruling party in Nigeria.

“When people say we don’t have the majority, I always laugh. How could anyone say that when we already have a majority in the House of Representatives? We already have more than 200 on our side and I know others are waiting to join. Even in the Senate, efforts are on to get a majority or, at least, two-thirds of the members on the side of the new PDP. Let’s see how Tukur and those backing him will sustain the tempo of the noise they are making.

“When people say Tukur has written a letter to Governor Amaechi to tender a letter of apology, I laugh. Who is Tukur to write to a governor for an apology? In the first place, is Tukur the recognised chairman of the party and what authority does he have to make such a questionable demand? It is all a lie. The Rivers governor has not seen any letter and if he sees any, I can tell you that he would ignore it. In fact, they should push any of the aggrieved governors to point of turning this into a personal battle. I doubt if they can bear the consequences of such a possibility", the source added.

Back