Sports NFF didn't sack me - Stephen Keshi

Former Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has refused to be attributed with the toga of being "sacked" insisting that he was not fired by the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF).

Keshi's contract with the NFF expired after the 2014 FIFA World Cup tournament in Brazil, but he agreed to work on an interim basis.

However, the NFF decided to end the relationship with Keshi on Thursday after Nigeria's game against Sudan in Abuja, drafting in Amodu Shuaibu for the remaining games .

“I was never sacked by the NFF. It’s if you have an existing contract that you would be sacked," Keshi said.

Keshi remains optimistic that Nigeria will still qualify for the Nations Cup tournament, despite being in third position in the group behind South Africa and Congo.

"Super Eagles can still qualify for the 2015 AFCON. They have the chance, because the group is still open. They only need to work harder."

“We need a lot of encouragement from Nigerians for the players to go ahead and qualify. I think we can qualify for the 2015 AFCON,” he added.

rsz_keshi_1 (1).jpg

Back