Politics Nigeria 2015: Listen, No Candidate Can Rival Jonathan – Orubebe

Vunderkind

Social Member
orubebe.jpg

Former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Elder Godsday Orubebe , following his exit from the federal cabinet last week has had an interactive session with journalists. In the interview, he spoke about his experience gathered so far.

When asked why he quit President Jonathan’s cabinet, Orubebe said “I have done my best serving this country and also believe that I should also come to my state to deposit what God really gave to me to join the Governor and people of Delta State to move this state forward.”

On whether he was sacked or resigned from the cabinet, Orubebe’s reply was a rhetorical question: “How can?” He said he worked very well with the president, and that president Jonathan is an elder brother, friend and leader. “I was not sacked. I resigned and he allowed me to go when I told him that I needed to come to Delta State to support the governor and the people of this state to move Delta State to a greater level, having contributed my little quota towards the advancement of this country.”

When asked if he thought President Jonathan is a weak leader, Orubebe replied, “I think from our history, having been governed by the military over the years, it has also affected our psyche and our perception about people, who are leaders of this country. President Goodluck Jonathan is a democrat per excellence. He has allowed the rule of law to work in this country and so what are they talking about? President Goodluck Jonathan is a firm leader. If he believes in anything, he will take it to a logical conclusion.”

A noteworthy statement from Orubebe is, “president Jonathan does not believe in waking up and sacking people because of rumor. President Jonathan is very thorough, he must know why something has happened, he must investigate, he must ask questions to know why these things should happen and you know Nigerians are not used to that and I think a new way of governance, which is through democratic process, government by rule of law must go into the reason of Nigerians because that is the only way we can develop our democracy. He is not a weak leader, he is a great leader, who rules this country by the rule of law and by the provisions of the Constitution of this country.”

Speaking on Jonathan’s chances in 2015’s presidential elections, Orubebe fervently said that GEJ’s chances were “Very, very bright. I can tell you that I have not seen any candidate from anywhere that can rival President Goodluck Jonathan. Who has the credentials that he has? I believe that the challenges we have now that people are talking about are not as serious as the one we had in 2011.“

He said he has no regrets as minister.

Back