Politics Nigeria Is Experiencing Financial Crisis- Adams Oshiomhole

L

LequteMan

adams_oshio.jpg

Following the Nigerian Government's inability to pay monthly allocation to states, Edo State governor, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole during a press briefing in Benin-City, Thursday said Nigeria is experiencing financial crisis as most states can’t pay the salaries of their workers.

According to Sahara Reporters, he implored the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to pay into the Federation Account the over N2.3 trillion it owes.

He accused the corporation of insincerity as it could not reveal the number of barrels of crude oil it was refining daily.

“I don’t know if the federal government is broke but I know there is serious crisis and it is unprecedented in the history of this country. For the first time since 1999, allocations can no longer come as at when due to states. I have been involved in trying to understand what the reasons are and I have not seen anything yet. Whether we use the word broke or you deny the word broke, the truth is that there is financial crisis in Nigeria which has very serious national security implications.

“Because when states can’t pay salaries, federal government can’t pay salaries as at when due, and you can’t pay your contractors and your contractors will begin to retrench their workers, that is recipe for national disaster. So, I am hoping that NNPC should wake up and meet its obligation to the federation account otherwise, the integrity of government is at stake.

"If I can’t keep my promise, federal government can’t keep its promise, all other governors can’t keep their promises, the Nigeria electorate will be so disillusioned and it will be a disaster. So I am hoping that NNPC recognises that it cannot be business as usual and they have few cases to answer as far as I am concerned," the governor said.

Back