Business 'Nigeria is not a Dumping Ground'- Association Wants Tokunbo Import Duty Increased

L

LequteMan

The federal government of Nigeria has been urged to impose higher duty rate on fairly-used imported vehicles.

Mr Boniface Aniebonam, the Founder, National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF), speaking on Monday said the measure would prevent the country from being turned to a dumping ground for used vehicles.

``We have actually given advice and we cannot continue saying one thing everyday.

``People should be given opportunity to make choice.

``Transport in Nigeria is a necessity; is not a luxury. The transport policy of Nigeria has not created opportunity for a well-applied seamless transportation.

``We are not even there as far as the issue of manufacturing is concerned. The Ajaokuta Steel Mill and others that will roll out some of these things that we require are not really optimal now or in existence.

``So, what we have severally advocated is to create opportunity for choice. The older a vehicle is the higher rate of duty.

``The newer a vehicle is the lower rate of duties.

``The government strikes a balance in terms of revenue there because customs duty calculation, as far as duty is concerned is based on ex-factory price and so depreciation comes in.

``If we take the higher rate of duty for very old cars, we would have saved this country from dumping problem and all that; I think that is the way we would go.

``For now as far as I am concerned, is not going too well.

``Government might be thinking they are making revenue but the economy is not really being favoured in any form.

``This has heightened the smuggling activities as far as I am concerned.

``By and by, they are in a better position to make decision for the good of the greater number.’’

He urged government to put in place the right automotive policy that would be favourable to the economy.

#Nigeria #Tokunbo

Attachments

• tokunbo cars.jpg
    tokunbo cars.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 19
Back