Business Nigeria: 'Okrika' Clothes Boom As Christmas Draws Nearer

P

ProfRem

With the cost of living skyrocketing each day in Nigeria due to the economic recession, some parents in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa capital have resorted to buying second hand clothes popularly called “Okrika” as preferred alternative for new ones for their children this Christmas.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), who visited Swali market in Yenogoa on Monday, reports that the section selling fairly used clothes for children was a beehive of activities.

Parents were seen scrambling to buy second-hand clothes for their children and wards.

Mr Ebimo James, one of the parents, who spoke to NAN, said the recession had led to astronomical increase in the cost of goods and services including new clothes for children.

okrika.JPG

James, a father of three, said he chose to buy the fairly used clothes as he could not afford to buy new ones, as the prices had gone over the roof,

“I have three kids; if I use all the money in my possession to buy new clothes for them, I may end up buying for only one child.

“Though the cost of Okrika clothes is high, they are still affordable.

Mr Grace Onoh, who sell new clothes at the market, blamed the high exchange rate of the naira to the dollar for the increase in the cost of new clothes.

“A pair of boys’ trouser made in Turkey is sold between N5, 000 and N8, 000.

“The cost of girl dress is higher; they ranged from N7, 000 and above.’’

Source: NAN

Back