Metro Nigeria: Protests Hit Edo State as 'Pure Water' Sells for N20

P

ProfRem

The Price of sachet water, popularly known as ‘pure water’ has skyrocketed to N10 from N20 per sachet while bottled water rose from N50 to between N70 and N80 in some parts of Edo State, The Nation reports.

Speaking with The Nation in Benin City, the Edo State capital, a ‘pure water’ hawker, Helen Usunobun said they could not cope with the hike in price which would leave them making N30 profit for every bag of satchet water.

Her words, “They said dollar has gone up. Whether dollar is in the water, we don’t know.”

Another hawker, Mrs. Enoma Blessing, said people that used to consume four satchet water, now buy only one per day.

purewater.JPG

Irhue said a film roll that sold for N600,000 last week now sells for N920,000 while packaging material rose from N3300 to N5000.

According to him, “Nobody can give water treatment and sell at the former price of N100. It is a terrible situation we have found ourselves.

“It is the sourcing of the materials that is causing these problems.”

Chairman of the Water Producers in the state, Henry Eremokhai, said the approved price by the association was N120.

This development led hawkers of the product to a protest lamenting low patronages.

purewate.JPG

TheNation

Last edited:
  1. Don't mind this Edo people there wahala too much, everything always scarce at the place. It's in Edo they started selling pure water at #10 per sachet. It's in Niger Delta where there I more water they are selling #100 & #120 per bag while in the west they were selling between #55 & #60 per bag did they bring there own material from heaven. They should check their conscience. If we want this country to move forward we should all change our attitudes. In my dialects they always says (WON O KI N NA BREAD) Dem no dey price bread, it's in Benin I first heard they were pricing bread on my way to Onitsha in 1988. So don't be surprised if you hear they sell sachets of pure water at #50, it's there habits. God bless Nigeria & the people who wants progress for Us

Back